Sunday, May 15, 2011

Nicknames

......the first year running Reach the Beach with a team out of Sandown, NH one of the runners nicknamed me Twinkle Toes.  I thought it was so cute, I've since had the name embroidered onto a running warm up jacket.  AT hikers also are dubbed nicknames.  Twinkle Toes as a nickname, fits me well for hiking too as there is not a year which goes by I am void of a black toe.   Hot Rod could also work as a nickname...but my current hiking buddy kind of dubbed me one.   It's not as attractive as those formally mentioned, but it will do.  For the purposes of this blog, I will be known as Pigeon.

During one of the hikes Sue and I shared this Spring, I continuously got hung up in the microspikes.  Infamous snow snakes was my excuse...but Sue walking behind me said otherwise.  My pronated right foot would catch the inside of my left and tug at the strap of the spikes.  Hence the nickname.  I immediately became Pigeon, and she, the Duck. 

weathered but not worn out
Last year I found a new appreciation for hiking and wish to chronicle my adventures.  This season alone Duck and me have already bagged five 4000 footers.   For years I tracked road race stats via a traditional HTML coded website, but that is labor intensive.  Rather than store choice photos on a harddrive, never to be seen or shared, or in my case, accidentally deleted, I've decided to go the route of using a blog.   On a date we decide to host a virtual hike for those of you at home, we will post photos taken along the route via my Blackberry to this blog.

I hope you enjoy the trip as much we do.  Be well my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment